Scents of Egypt Workshop Series KITS
Each workshop in the Scents of Egypt Series has the option to purchase a kit directly from our brilliant instructor Dora Roberta Goldsmith. Please contact her directly, via email (email@example.com) if you would like to pre-order one or more kits for the upcoming workshops.
The kits are not mandatory but highly recommended to fully experience the depth of knowledge that Dora will be sharing with us.
Dora creates each kit from the authentic plant matter from Egypt, thus there are limited numbers and we highly encourage you to pre-order yours before they sell out. The kits will be mailed out from Berlin.
kAp.t in Egyptian, or kyphi in Greek is an ancient Egyptian perfume in solid form. It is one of the first documented perfume recipes in the world, and one of the few surviving perfume recipe from ancient Egypt.
With the Kyphi Kit you can make your own kyphi at home by following the ancient Egyptian kyphi recipe step-by-step. You will also receive Dora's own reconstruction of the original solid kyphi and her modern, liquid interpretation of this ancient Egyptian perfume.
The Kyphi Kit contents
- All the ingredients to make kyphi (see the list below), you will receive 10 grams of each
- Kyphi recipe (Dora's translation with the most up-to-date botanical identifications)
- Instructions on how to make kyphi
- Dora's reconstruction of the original solid kyphi and her modern, liquid interpretation.
Price: 120€ + shipping
- PISTACIA RESIN
- PINE RESIN
- GUM ARABICUM
- JUNIPER BERRIES
- CYPRESS ROOTS
The exudation of the kyphi perfume mixture on fire served to purify and scent the air in one’s home, clean and perfume clothing, and it was even used as a chewing gum. As an olfactory adornment, kyphi served to enhance one’s appearance and to make them more attractive.
(2) LIQUID KYPHI
The Kyphi Kit contains Dora's reconstruction of the original solid kyphi and her modern, liquid interpretation.
Unguent Cone Kit
Description of the Unguent Cone kit is coming soon
Price: 120€ + shipping
The Temple Kit is an advanced educational tool designed to introduce you to the olfactory world of ancient Egyptian temples. The collection includes 15 bottles: 14 individual scents that made up the smell of ancient Egyptian temples, and the “temple smell” itself, which is the reconstruction of the smell of ancient Egyptian temples in a bottle. The scents come with a description detailing the significance of each scent in the temple with quotes from ancient Egyptian sources.
The Temple Kit contents
- 15 scents, see list below (The milk, bread & cake scents are synthetic)
Price: 150€ + shipping
- LOTUS FLOWERS
- CLOTHING DRENCHED IN LOTUS OIL
- FLORAL COLLAR
- FLOWER BOUQUETS
- ROAST MEAT
- VEGETABLES, FRUIT, HERBS
- TEMPLE SMELL
*scents are synthetic
The Botanical Kit is a botanical library of all the vegetables and fruits that grew in the vegetable gardens and orchards of ancient Egypt. You can see, smell, touch and taste all the plants the Egyptians consumed in their daily lives. You will rediscover the olfactory landscape of ancient Egypt’s lost orchards and vegetable gardens through the so-called “garden fragrance” (sTi SA), a scent so important to the Egyptians that they regarded it as an object in its own right.
The Botanical Kit contents
- 22 dried herbs, fruits and vegetables, see list below
- Garden fragrance
Price: 100€ + shipping
- EGYPTIAN LETTUCE
- WILD CELERY
- GRAPE VINE
- CHRIST’S THORN
- GARDEN FRAGRANCE
The Aphrodisiac Kit is an advanced educational tool dedicated to the scents of lovemaking and sexuality in ancient Egypt. You will learn about the gods that were related to love and sexuality through the sense of smell and the olfactory landscape of lovemaking in ancient Egypt.
The Aphrodisiac Kit contents
- 8 scents, listed below
- 1 phial / vial of perfume recreation by Dora
Price: 130€ + shipping
- AMUN: The creator god Amun had the power to create beings with his own body perspiration, which according the Egyptians smelled like incense.
- MIN: Min, the god of fertility, could not only create being with his sperm, but also with his sweat. His sacred plant was the fragrant Egyptian lettuce.
- HATHOR: Hathor, the goddess of beauty, love, music, dance, intoxication, and perfume oils and unguents, was also the goddess of one of the most important scents in ancient Egypt: myrrh. It was believed that Hathor intoxicated people and made them fall in love with each other with her own scent.
- MANDRAGORA: The mandragora or mandrake, or rmm.t as the Egyptians called it, is frequently featured in ancient Egyptian love poetry. The Egyptians were well-aware of the fact that the mandragora is an aphrodisiac and used it during lovemaking.
- KYPHI: kAp.t in Egyptian or kyphi in Greek is one of the few documented perfume recipe from ancient Egypt and is simultaneously one of the world’s first perfume recipes. The exudation of this perfume mixture on fire served to purify and scent the air in one’s home, clean and perfume clothing, and it was even used as a chewing gum. As an olfactory adornment, kyphi served to enhance one’s appearance and to make them more attractive.
- LIQUID KYPHI: The modern, liquid version of the ancient Egyptian perfume kyphi.
- GARMENT DRENCHED IN CAMPHOR OIL: The written documents inform us that garments drenched in camphor oil, in Egyptian ti-Sps, were considered highly attractive. The goddess Hathor received them as an offering in her temple, while women wore them when they met their lover in a garden.
- FLOWERS AT THE POND: The scent and the phial represent all the olfactory landscape of lovemaking with all the fragrant flowers that grew around a pond, where based on the love poetry, the Egyptians went to spend time with their lovers.
- Phial/Vial of FLOWERS AT THE POND perfume recreation
The Mummy Kit is an advanced education tool designed to introduce you to the olfactory world of mummification and ancient Egyptian afterlife. You will learn about the smells that defined the mummification chambers and tombs, and the scents that the ancient Egyptians themselves wished to be surrounded by in their life after death.
Content: 6 scents, 2 phials and article
Price: 130€ + shipping
- MUMMY: All the fragrant substances used on the body to mummify the deceased.
- MUMMY BANDAGES: The deceased was wrapped in bandages soaked in liquid resin.
- MUMMY GARLAND: The mummy was adorned with floral garlands covering its entire body from head to toe.
- COFFIN: The mummified body was placed in a fragrant wooden coffin covered in liquid resin.
The scents above represent the olfactory world of mummification, this scent is indeed extremely similar to the way mummies smell today.
TUTANKHAMUN’S FLORAL COLLAR: The collar placed directly on Tutankhamun’s body was made out of nine rows of floral ornaments and constitutes one of the greatest finds from his tomb.
- EMBALMING INGREDIENTS
- MUMMY GARLANDS
Hknw Perfume Kit
With the Hknw Kit you can make your own Hknw at home by following the ancient Egyptian recipe step-by-step.
Hknw, meaning “joy” in Egyptian, was one of the seven sacred oils used in the temples of Egypt to anoint the gods and in the process of mummification to preserve the dead. Its recipe is preserved on the walls of the Ptolemaic temple of Edfu. However, its existence can be traced back to as early as the 4th Dynasty.
Kit Contents: All the ingredients to make Hknw, Hknw perfume reconstructed by Dora (solid and liquid version), Hknw recipe (Dora's translation), instructions and article
Price: 100€ + shipping
- MYRRH, Type 1
- MYRRH, Type 2
- LIQUID HKNW
The modern, liquid version of the ancient Egyptian Hknw perfume.
Kits will be shipped out from Berlin, Germany in January.
- US with DHL, tracking number, priority (2 weeks) - 55€
- Europe with DHL, tracking number (1 week - 2 weeks) - 20€
- Canada with DHL, tracking number - 40€
- Switzerland with DHL, tracking number - 30€
- Australia with DHL, tracking number - 50€
- Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong with DHL, tracking number - 50€
- Mexico with DHL, tracking number - 45€
- Oman, Kuwait with DHL, tracking number - 50€
- Israel, Dubai with DHL, tracking number - 40€
- India, Indonesia with DHL, tracking number - 50€
Illuminated Perfume is not responsible for the delivery or content of the kits. Please reach out to Dora via email, if you have any questions and/or desire to place an order: firstname.lastname@example.org